I spent the better part of Saturday removing the old tin roof on the rotunda and rebuilding a slanted roof in its place. I had previously removed all of the decorative spindles and railing as they were mostly rotted. The roof had leaked quite a bit...mainly due to the fact that the old roof was flat...which is a big no-no. Flats roofs invite standing water and standing water rotts almost anything. In its place we secured the rotunda with new joist extensions extending out from the attic. We replaced any necessary floor boards and then secured strips of wood at an angle to allow water to flow AWAY from the house roof. We then re-sheeted it and it looks great. Yes...I will be replacing the decorative railing at some point. Here are the before and after pics.