Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Half Way There! (The roof, I mean)

Good morning, all! For those of you who don't know, the high wind and rainfall we received last week tore some of the felt paper off of the roof and a lot of water got inside. Luckily...I went over there just in case and found water pouring in from just about everywhere. I got it cleaned up and spent the remainder of the day putting new felt paper on the 9th street side of the roof.

Thank you to Dave and Sandy Lahr who saw me toiling on the roof in between the rain showers and brought me some delicious cookies and single malt scotch! Now that is what I call a good neighbor! And it wasn't the cheap stuff, either!




Anyway...here are some photos of the 9th street side of the roof. Yes...it is all shingled and we are going to do the other side today. My mason also showed up later in the afternoon and we are redoing the chimneys as well. Don't want any bricks falling down on my new roof. Thanks to Michael and Jeff for helping me get that done yesterday. I love being outside and doing the work on my house but I sure as hell would not want to do roofing for a living. That is some seriously hard work. This is my second (and last) roof that I have removed and re-shingled. I am really looking forward to getting this all completed.

3 comments:

  1. I’m glad you were able to fix your roof after the rain! How is it now? It’s a wise decision to replace the roof felt paper immediately. Though felt paper is made to prevent water from entering the house, it needs to be replaced too, especially if it’s wearing out. If ignored, it might cause more problems to your roof, like water damage. Always consider the weight of the material when choosing a felt paper. Good luck with the repairs!

    (Roslyn Petermann)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Roslyn. Your roof is a very important part of your house. To prolong its lifespan, a protective covering should be placed to serve as the first layer of defense against weathering. But it should also be accompanied with roof insulation to help with the air circulation during winter. This is key to prevent ice dams from forming on the roof.

    -Son Lakhani

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors of the shingles are great. I love it! I was actually looking for something like this ‘cause I really get bored with the color of the ones available here. I actually want a better look for my roof since I’m fond of spending my leisure time in the rooftop, especially when the weather is very cool. I hope I could provide myself now with awesome colored shingles before the roof repair starts. Fingers crossed! :)

    -- Missie Rice

    ReplyDelete